Another 420 is upon us! Finally, it’s a day the community comes together to celebrate the cannabis plant. Get the lowdown on the legend behind 420 and learn the basics about hemp-derived cannabis. This article also features compliant products and shares some fun activities to make the most of 420 this year.
The Legend Behind 420
Legends are stories that are regarded as being historical but unauthenticated. It can be hard to know the exact origins of such myths. The history of 420, pronounced four-twenty, is hazy. This slang term is used in a couple of different ways by those in the community. It’s most commonly used as code to tell others it’s time to consume. As the story goes, this was the time (4:20) a group of students used when meeting for an afternoon smoke sesh. The term, possibly coined in the ’70s, is widely used today.
Most importantly, 420 is also a social movement. Each year, on April 20th, advocates everywhere unite to support the ongoing legalization of cannabis. They are usually lighting up in protest of the ongoing war on drugs. It’s important to both the community and the industry that these political events continue. Cannabis consumption is still largely stigmatized in regular society and is illegal in many places.
This counter-culture holiday also celebrates the spirit of the plant, including all things cannabis-related. The official weed day of the year has turned into more of a commercial event and is the time dispensaries have their biggest promotions. So it’s kind of like Christmas for the cannabis enthusiast.
Overview: Hemp-Derived Cannabis Products
Cannabinoids derived from hemp are federally legal. However, the 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). This allows products containing no more than 0.3 percent THC to be sold on a federal level. This includes compounds like cannabidiol (CBD), Delta 8 THC, THC-O, etc. Some states have banned one or more of these substances, so it ultimately depends on the laws in your area.
Learn about each cannabinoid below:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is a common compound found in cannabis. This compound is considered non-intoxicating and well tolerated by most consumers.
- Delta 8 THC is one of many THC analogs found in cannabis. It’s estimated to be half as psychoactive with many of the same therapeutic effects of delta 9 THC.
- HHC is a synthetic cannabinoid derived from hemp, producing a similar psychoactive effect as Delta 9 THC.
- Hemp-derived Delta 9 THC is a less potent version of cannabis, with 0.3 percent THC or less. It can produce psychoactive effects.
- THC-O is derived from Delta 9 THC or Delta 8 THC to create a semi-synthetic formulation, considered a more potent version of Delta 9 THC.
Our advice for consumers is to start with a low dose and increase slowly when trying products with THC. Read this article for additional information on THC.
New and Notable Products for Your 420 Celebration!
Check out these premium hemp-derived products by The Hemp Doctor:
- THC-O Fruit Cocktail Gummies (60 pieces per bottle), containing a total of 1800mg with 30mg in each piece. The gummies are formulated using premium, full-spectrum hemp extract. These vegan-friendly gummies are watermelon, raspberry, tangerine, lemon, cherry, and strawberry flavored. They’re naturally flavored using fruit and vegetable extracts and are lab tested.
- Delta 8 THC Softgels (30 capsules per bottle), with 750mg in total and 25mg per capsule. These convenient softgels provide consistent dosing for consumers. This full-spectrum product was formulated with fractionated coconut MCT oil, gelatin, purified water, and glycerin. Consumers can also purchase these capsules in a 2-pack 50mg pouch. Each batch is lab tested for quality.
- Delta 9 THC/CBD Full Spectrum Gummies (30 gummies per bottle). These gummies contain a total of 375mg of Delta 9 THC (12.5mg per piece), 450mg of CBD (15mg per piece). We have a nighttime version, that includes 150mg of CBN (5mg per piece), as well as the Delta 9, and CBD. Available in three great flavors, including tangerine, watermelon, and elderberry. Every batch of gummies is lab tested.
- D8 THC Live Resin Vape Cart (1g per cartridge) with 90%+ Delta 8 THC. This ultra-premium hemp terpene line is formulated using premium distillate for maximum flavor and quality. This full-spectrum product is available in several cultivars, including Durban Poison, Granddaddy Purple, Gorilla Glue #4 (also known as GG4), and Maui Wowie. All of our products are lab tested by a third party.
- Full Spectrum 900mg CBD Edibles (30 gummies per bottle) containing a total of 900mg, with 30mg in each piece. These full-spectrum, vegan-friendly gummies come in three delicious varieties: tangerine, strawberry, and elderberry. Our edibles are lab tested for quality.
Elevate your celebration. Here are five fun ideas for 420 in 2022:
- Eventbrite has several in-person events across the U.S. to check out if you are looking for a more traditional experience, like going to a protest or finding new canna-friends.
- Stay home and have a watch party! There are many good stoner flicks to watch, like Dazed and Confused or the newly released 420.
- Attend a cannabis-infused dinner party in your area or host one! Try this fun recipe from our blog.
- Paint and Puff (or DIY) Night with your buds.
- Get outdoors, pack a lunch and bring some pre-rolls (insert your preferred method).
420 can be both a serious and fun celebration. It’s a good reminder to connect with those in the community. It’s also an opportunity for activism if you are so inclined. Whether you’re a novice or are a seasoned veteran, be sure to stock up early and always consume with intention. Have a fun and safe 420.
The Hemp Doctor was created for consumers who want answers about the benefits of CBD and other hemp-derived products. Our privilege is to provide consumers with superior customer service and the premium CBD products they deserve. Get organic cannabinoid products by The Hemp Doctor, made in the USA.
We value our consumers and appreciate any feedback or recommendations you may have. Please use our Contact Us page to let us know what we’re doing well and where we can improve.