CBN-infused products have only been made available to the public recently but it’s already becoming a force to reckon with in the market. For example, data shows that in Nevada, the total sales of CBN products grew by 30% in 2022.
CBN is marketed to be many things but in recent years, marketers promoted CBN to have sleep-promoting effects. Is there some truth to this claim? If there is, how can this cannabis compound promote better sleep?
Get familiar with CBN in this article and learn about its sleep-related advantages below.
Why Is Getting Good Sleep Important?
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential for your quality of life. It’s like hitting a reset button for the brain, helping with memory and mood. Not only that, proper sleep supports many important systems like the immune system, cardiovascular, and more.
What does proper sleep look like?
The average adult needs at least 7 hours of sleep per day. Beyond the number of sleeping hours, the quality of sleep matters too. One should be able to fall asleep easily, not experience waking up in the middle of the night, and feel absolutely refreshed in the morning.
There are a few things that you can do to help improve your bedtime experience.
First, try to maintain a routine as much as you can. Get good exercise during the day and limit your alcohol and caffeine intake. Invest in blackout curtains if needed, etc. Another strategy includes using supplementary compounds like CBN.
What is CBN?
CBN or cannabinol is a naturally occurring cannabinoid in the cannabis plant variety. CBN is just one type of over 125 classified cannabinoids. Two of the most popular ones included in the roster are Delta 9 THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).
CBN is produced when THC oxidizes (or ages), it’s essentially a by-product of both THC-a and delta 9 THC. Most experts consider it to be mildly psychoactive and together with the other compounds can create a sedative effect.
How do cannabinoids like CBN elicit their supposed unique effects?
The human body has a complex system that interacts with cannabinoids. Introducing the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a vast network of endogenous cannabinoids, receptors, and enzymes. It’s responsible for regulating some of the most important physiological processes such as mood and sleep.
CBN has a binding affinity with the ECS’s CB2 receptors. This interaction makes up for a pretty convenient tie-up to support quality sleep.
CBN for Sleep
Like many cannabinoids, more studies are needed to accurately say how your body will react to something such as CBN. Much of what’s understood about the substance is from consumer experience. Put simply, evidence of CBN’s ability to enhance sleep is yet to come out.
Although direct scientific literature is lacking, CBN is said to indirectly promote good sleep by minimizing excessive psychological stimulation before bedtime. Psychological stimulation is the opposite of relaxation and freeing yourself from any racing thoughts before you sleep.
How can CBN indirectly help according to science?
- In a 2019 study on CBN and CBD using the rat model, evidence suggests CBN has some anti-inflammatory properties. Reducing inflammation works well for people enduring chronic or acute pain. With pain lessened, falling asleep becomes easy.
- A 2016 study by Zurier et.al supports the work done on the first item.
- In 1976, a study described the possibility of CBN relieving opiate withdrawal symptoms among rats.
Should I Try CBN for Sleep?
There’s no harm in trying. After all, there is no uniformity in terms of CBN effects. You might experience CBN differently compared to another person.
If taking CBN helps you get that good night’s rest, might as well consume it. However, one can’t stress this enough, consulting a medical professional is still the best route to go especially if you’re having intense sleeping problems like insomnia.
The Legal Status of CBN in the US
Currently, hemp-derived products are legal for sale and consumption under the 2018 Farm Bill. Any products containing a maximum of 0.3% delta 9 THC are federally legal, including CBN. The only catch is that it depends on where you are, as some states do ban the sale of hemp products.
It’s important to check your local laws to know for sure.
Best Ways to Consume CBN
- Start slow when trying hemp-derived products for the first time. There is also evidence that consuming a lower CBN dose for sleep could be more beneficial.
- Only purchase products from a trusted retailer. Stay away from products sold at convenience stores and gas stations.
- When shopping online, be sure to check the lab results (also called a Certificate of Analysis or COA). This ensures you are getting only the highest quality.
Where to Buy the Best CBN for Sleep?
Ready to take the plunge? The Hemp Doctor offers several premium CBN gummies for sleep and CBN full spectrum oil. Our top 3 picks include:
- Delta 9 THC/CBD/CBN Full Spectrum Nighttime Gummies (30 gummies per bottle) Each piece contains 12.5mg of delta 9 THC, 15mg of CBD, and 5mg of CBN. These infused gummies are available in four fruity flavors.
- THC Free Ashwaghanda Gummies 150mg CBN (30 gummies per jar) Our de-stress formulation has 40mg Ashwagandha, 50mg L-Theanine, 5mg Melatonin and 5mg of CBN in each piece.
- Full Spectrum High Octane CBD/CBG/CBN (30 ml bottle) This tincture comes in two formats, choose from either Premium (with 1500mg) or Ultra (with 2800mg). Available in natural or lemon flavors.
Using What Nature Provides
Everyone should have the chance to feel their best and a restful night’s sleep is key. But for some, sleeping soundly can be a challenge.
Let the natural compounds from the hemp plant help you get your Z’s. Thanks to the evolution of THC, CBN has the potential to help restore homeostasis for optimal performance.
Sleep tight and sweet dreams!
The Hemp Doctor has some of the newest and most intriguing cannabinoid products on the market today. From our distillate to our moon rocks and shatter, you are guaranteed to find something that will suit both your taste and budget. Click here to browse our latest curated selections.
Now offering Military Discount for CBD & Delta 8 products, this includes Active Duty, Veterans & Dependents.